Saturday, February 20, 2010

John Jacob Jingle heimer Schmidt, his name is my name too!

John Jacob Jingle heimer Schmidt, his name is my name too! (S4/S5)


The ever-elusive Jacob. Who is this invisible to most man, that hates technology, is both brilliant and unforgiving and for whatever reason lives in a tiny un-kept cabin surrounded by a magical circle of ash. He is a many of few words, and would not appreciate the drop in, and would probably be the type that would have the No Solicitors sign posted by the front door. He seems to have been around for a while since John mentioned his name in 1954 and Richard didn’t respond with “whose Jacob?”



Seriously, why is he invisible to most? Is he trapped in another dimension? I don’t know why, but for the longest time whenever I thought about Jacob, I kept thinking of this Spongebob episode where they are selling chocolate door to door, and they go to house where there is a mother and daughter. The mother is a mostly shriveled up worm, and for whatever reason, this is the image I get when I think of Jacob. I surely hope he is not a worm.



I originally took Jacob as being the spokesperson for the Island, the embodiment if you will. Everyone has a boss and Jacob is a collective conscious that keeps the people in order. Now Christian is speaking for him? No offense to Christian, but didn’t he die a drunk? A weak one according to him at that, and this is his spokesperson? Perhaps he is not, he maybe a spokesperson but maybe it is for something that is the opposite of Jacob. If he is speaking for Jacob, I think Echo would make a better one; he seemed to be the person he should have been when on the island. I personally could not hold any of his past against him, he didn’t have too many options. And some of the choices he had to make, well weren’t really choices at all. (Him shooting that man instead of his little brother) And besides, if anyone was to give Echo any lip, he could always beat them with his Jesus stick.



Now that this can of time traveling worms has been opened, it seems to touch everything. Is Jacob a result from Dharma? Maybe he was in an experiment, and they sent him to far back in the past, he couldn’t get back all the way and some how he became a god to the others. I suppose some invisible person telling them things from the future would give him god like qualities. And yet, they still have this problem with Dharma later, which I feel busts that theory, unless of course, Jacob was a disgruntle Dharma official, and then maybe it can still work.



The choice of Horace’s Cabin as his place of residence is part of why I associate him with Dharma (besides the TT) but it’s the ash that intrigues me most. Circles of Ash are often associated with protection, to keep bad things out. Who would want to hurt Jacob?



There have been numerous theories on who Jacob is, he has been nearly every person on the show (including Rose), a computer and even a few regular posters on ABC’s theory board. But my favorite is that Jacob is Frank lapidus and Frank is Jacob, since they have so many things in common. Frank is a drunk and Jacob has one speaking for him now, Frank flies planes and Jacob lives in a crappy airplane cabin, Frank wears Hawaiian shirts, and Jacob lives on an island that looks like Hawaii. See the connections. So maybe we are all Jacob and Jacob is all of us.



So for now I will go with if Jacob is not the embodiment of the island, or a creepy old talking worm, than I would bet he is a guy named Jacob.

No comments:

Post a Comment